I am sure everyone has heard that saying, “ you are what you eat” before and yet, here we are eating “foods” with an ingredient list a mile long of words we cannot pronounce, “foods” that are engineered to taste a certain way or sit on a shelf for and extended period of time. These “foods” containing harmful chemicals are detrimental to our health and somehow we get sucked into purchasing them because they taste a certain way.
Here are 5 of the most common food additives you are likely eating daily that are negatively effecting your health.
- Common in microwave popcorn to give that buttery flavour
- Can cause lung damage when it is vaporized and inhaled from the microwave
- Carmine or Cochineal Extract (Red #4)
- Red dye used in sweets, slushies, ice cream
- Made from crushed beetles
- Anti-foaming agent created from silicone
- Found in cooking oils, vinegars, gum, chocolate
- Used to lengthen shelf life
- Potassium Sorbate
- Inhibit the growth of mold in cakes, jellies, yogurt, jerky, bread and salad dressing
- BHA (Butylated Hydroxyanisole) & BHT (Butylated Hydroxytolune)
- Chemicals used to preserve oils
- Cause cancer
- Aren’t always listed on the ingredient labels directly
Take a look at this CHILDREN’S CEREAL
Not looking at the nutritional information just yet, because thats a whole other post, just look at the ingredients, Trisodium Phosphate, Yellow # 5 & 6, Red #40, Blue #1, other colour, artificial flavours & mixed toccopherols. What the heck is all that? And why are there so many families feeding this to their children when they don’t know themselves what these things are?…
I am going to tell you what these things are that you are putting into your body,
Trisoduim Phosphate: a common food additive, yet it is also used as a degreasing agent, stain remover and general cleaning. Trisodium phosphate can no longer be used in consumer soaps and detergents because of ecological concerns (mmm that sounds delicious)
All the numbers represent food dyes, food dyes have been linked to hyperactivity and many food allergies. Some dyes suck has yellow #5 have been banned in many European countries.
As you can tell, these are all ingredients you should not be eating, you don’t know how to pronounce them or what they are. Don’t be fooled by the good taste because these “ingredients” can be harming you in the long run.
Take charge of your health and be in control of what gets put into your body!