Maple Blueberry Oatmeal
1/2 Cup Rolled oats
1 Cup Water
1/2 Cup Frozen or fresh blueberries
1 Tbsp Ground Flax seed
2 Tsp Hemp Seeds
2 Tbsp Buckwheat groats
1/2 Tbsp Raw sunflower seeds
1 Tbsp Pure maple syrup
1/2 Cup oatmeal
Add oats and water into a bowl and microwave for 1 min 35 sec. Sprinkle with cinnamon
Add on the blueberries and the rest of the toppings and finish with a drizzle of maple syrup
This bowl of oatmeal has approximately 425 calories, 11 grams of fat, 61 grams of carbs, and 12 grams of plant based protein.
Oatmeal: Complex carb, meaning it is slow digesting due to its high levels of soluble fibre and it won’t spike your blood sugar. Lowers Blood cholesterol, high in B vitamins and iron. As a vegan making sure you are getting in all your B vitamins and iron is very important and oatmeal is a great way to help.
Blueberries: Contain vitamin K, which assists in transporting calcium around the body and blood clotting. At the same time this little fruit is high in manganese, which helps with bone formation and carbohydrate metabolism.
Hemp Seeds: contain 33% protein and contains all 9 essential amino acids. For just 3 tablespoons these little seeds contain 10 grams of protein.
Buckwheat Groats: These too contain all essential amino acids and are high in iron.
The options for making a bowl of oatmeal are endless, but this combination of the creamy oatmeal with the sweet blueberries and crunchy buckwheat make for a great breakfast 🙂
3 Quick, Easy & Affordable Vegan Breakfast Ideas!!
To often you hear “Eating healthy is expensive” or “It takes to long” and these 3 breakfast ideas prove to you it is actually NOT expensive if you make use of what is in season & farmers market, with a little preparation eating healthy doesn’t have to take long at all! I will give you a step by step to each recipe and a macro and cost break down for each recipe as well 🙂
Breakfast #1 (Tofu Scramble w/ Kale)
- 1 Block Tofu- $1.24
- 1/2 Red bell Pepper- $.50- (Farmers Market- $2/3 peppers)
- 1/4 White onion- $.05
- 1 clove of garlic- $.05
- pinch of turmeric for colour
- Salt and Pepper
- Drain tofu- I don’t worry about drying
- Sauté onion and garlic in a little water (not oil) – cook for around 5 minutes on med-high, until fragrant and translucent
- Add in bell pepper and cook an additional 3-5 minutes
- Crumble in tofu and cook for 10-15 mins, until the liquid is absorbed
- Sprinkle on some turmeric to colour and season with salt and pepper
- Makes 3 servings
- Store extras in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3-4 days
- 2 bunches of Kale- $5
- squeeze of lemon – $.01
- 1/4 tsp granulated garlic- $.01
- de-stem kale
- Steam in boiling water for 3-4 mins, until colour intensifies
- Drain in a strainer, and rinse under cold water to stop cooking, squeeze out extra water
- sprinkle on garlic and squeeze a little lemon on top
- Makes 5 servings of 1 cup each
- Store in an airtight container for up to 4 days
1 serving tofu scramble- $.60
1 serving steamed kale- $1
1 whole wheat english muffin ($1.50/8- $.18 each)
$1.78 for breakfast!!
Total Macros: C-43g, P-19g, F- 8g
- Two of the main components are both make ahead ingredients to make mornings easier to just heat up for a fast and healthy breakfast!
Breakfast #2- (Avocado Toast w/ Tomato and Fruit)
- 1 whole wheat english muffin- $.18
- 1/2 a small avocado- $5/5
- 1/2 roma tomato- $.40
- 1 clementine- (bag 10 for $1- $.10)
- 5 strawberries (3 cartons for $4- $.30)
- squeeze of lemon
- salt and pepper
- Toast the english muffin
- smash the avocado in a bowl or right onto the english muffin
- top with tomato, lemon and salt and pepper
- add a side of fruit
$1.48 for Breakfast!
Total Macros: C- 46g, P- 8g, F- 10g
Breakfast #3- (Chocolate Protein Oats)
- 1/2 C Oats- $.10
- 1/2 serving Arbonne Chocolate protein ($55/ 55 servings- $.50)
- 1/4 Banana- $.15
- 1 Tbs pepita (pumpkin seeds) $.15
- Mix oats and protein with water to just cover oats
- microwave 1 min 30 sec
- top with sliced banana and pepitas
$.90 for Breakfast!!
Total Macros: C- 56g P- 22g, F- 9g